Reply to post:

US border cops must get warrants to search citizens' gadgets – draft bipartisan law emerges

Lee D Silver badge

You want my passwords?

I cannot come to your country.

There's stuff on there subject to the EU Data Protection Act which I cannot divulge, or give access to, to anyone else.

Game over. I literally CANNOT enter your country if that ruling goes through. Not even in passing, for holiday, etc.

Not that I want to, particularly, but this just makes it impossible. I can't break laws in my country to allow entry into another.

You want that information, it has to be an EU law enforcement agency that requires me to hand that over, not US.

However, even beyond that, BANKING details? No. You ask the bank if you want those. I'm not giving those out and maybe cannot even do so (e.g. SecureKey devices etc. that I don't have with me). Account passwords? No. You can ask the relevant sites for those (and they'll refuse, being in the EU for the most part). Devices, I wouldn't even bother to take anyway because of this junk.

And then the inane questions? What kind of pointless operation is that?

Seriously, America, get rid of your fool and your stupid rules because you're voluntarily walling yourselves into a corner. The only logical conclusion of which is something akin to 1984 or Escape from New York.

I'm guessing most of those plans will never come to pass, but I can't ever take the risk that they do pass while I'm in the air on the way to the US, like the previous set did.

If you're really THIS paranoid, refuse people at the source airport, not the destination. By the time you're screening them they've already been on a plane over US soil with the potential to hijack it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon