Reply to post: Re: There is something ..... wacko here.

BDSM sex rocks Drupal world: Top dev banished for sci-fi hanky-panky

JLV

Re: There is something ..... wacko here.

What are you going on about?

Jian Ghomeshi's activities had nothing to do with this, one way or another. The man got his jollies from punching and choking his partners while having sex. The sex was consensual but the assaults were allegedly not. After an initial victim spoke out, several others joined in too, with the same complaints.

The trial, for assault, misfired because his lawyer was able to cast doubt on whether all the victims were really unwilling. It seems to me they were, but not beyond a doubt in a court of law with a well-paid lawyer. This is always a really hard call - closed doors, no witnesses. Still... way more than 1 complainant? Seems that the balance of the doubt kinda weighed against Jian.

There is no indication in _this_ article that there were assaults against unwilling partners. The Gor books are pretty misogynistic, I know from reading 2-3 of them in my early 20s. And, if I were a woman, I would not touch someone really believing in its "philosophy" with a 10' pole.

But that's about it. BDSM does have its followers and... if 2 (or more) consenting adults... they should be able to do as they please. Mind you, I don't think much of the Drupal actions here, but maybe they had further reasons. Dunno.

What I do know is that Jian's legal issues were of an entirely different nature, much more serious. So don't conflate the 2.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon