Reply to post: Re: "Google may be OK with this but ultimately it's a big risk for them"

Today's WWW is built on pillars of sand: Buggy, exploitable JavaScript libs are everywhere

bazza Silver badge

Re: "Google may be OK with this but ultimately it's a big risk for them"

@LDS,

These security issue may prompt the two companies to "suggest" they become the library repositories, to "improve" and "warrant" their quality - albeit some antitrust body could object (an EU one, I guess...)

It depends on how they do it. If they do it for free, make it fully available, for the public good, in the manner of a beneficial dictator, then I think the anti-trust bodies would have no interest whatsoever. If they make it so that only Chrome does it and then only for code from Google, then I think the objections would come thick, fast and expensive.

If Google or Facebook made a case along these lines, I doubt that they'll be able to bring enough of the community with them. The world hasn't been able to fully expunge Flash. There's going to be too much stuff that's important to lots of people that doesn't fit in with a potential Google/Facebook vision of how things should be. We're in this mess partly because there has been poor standards, not much adherence to those standards anyway, and the whole thing is effectively nothing more than one global hack-fest of software putrefaction which somehow has come to be seen as hot, cool and modern. There's a lot of momentum to overcome. Conforming is not in every web-developer's mindset.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon