Reply to post: Re: Ahh colloquial meanings of words.

Lawyer defending arson suspect flees court with pants on fire

Wade Burchette

Re: Ahh colloquial meanings of words.

When I visited the U of K, I had many locals ask me "Are you here on holiday?" And just about every time, I almost said "No, I am here on vacation." Then I would ride the subway ... er, the underground ... and I saw a sign that said "Mind the gap" and I would think "I don't mind the gap at all". Or when going down a set of stairs there is a sign that says "Mind your head". Americans do use 'mind' in the same way, just not as often. We would say in that situation "Watch your head". And, of course, it is a cell phone and not a mobile phone. (This is because before cellular telephones were created, Motorola already had a device called a mobile phone, so a new name had to be created to distinguish the two. Since the idea was to place towers are placed in such a cellular design, cell phone became the name.)

I always remember that English is a living language. Just because it is different does not mean it is wrong. Just imagine how much difference British English and American English and Australian English and Canadian English would be if not for modern technology.

P.S. To 'x 7', Charlotte is in NORTH Carolina. You might be thinking of Charleston, South Carolina.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019