Reply to post: Re: Yours is really the standard pro argument

Anti-TV Licensing petition gets May date for Parliament debate

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Yours is really the standard pro argument

@AC

"I understand the potential unfairness of people paying for something they simply never use but I'd have a lot more sympathy for that argument if the product was actually bad."

"It stretches credulity beyond tolerance that any significant number of keen watchers of television are unable to find anything of interest on the BBC."

Hand waving here. Nothing of interest. Stuff I could possibly force myself to watch but nothing to justify parting with any money for. And that doesnt mean the product is bad just as some people choose one mobile phone over another, it is personal preference and freedom of choice. And while basic water supply is a good thing to cover the necessity of water for living and clean water being part of that necessity there is no way to claim the BBC is essential.

"For those genuine exceptions who self-identify as notBBC, sorry, it's another example of perfect fairness being too inefficient to be practical. We understand the cause, if perhaps not the extent, of your anger and if we can work out a better way of doing things so that you can be less unhappy without bringing too much inconvenience to the majority we will be delighted."

Interesting bull to justify someone else paying for your entertainment. Funny how so many broadcasters exist without TV license and the BBC requires it to survive. Efficiently if you want it you can pay for it. Very simple and very practical. It is less practical to charge anyone who watches live broadcasts as the technology to receive is not so licensed but the activity is, and the activity can be done through a number of mediums which are not and cannot be tracked leading to inefficient practices such as sending people around to peoples homes to threaten them. So money could surely be saved by not employing these thugs and instead encrypting the signal requiring the watcher to actually pay for their service without forcing anyone else to. But BBC lovers wont like that as the cost goes up.

"In the meantime do keep checking back with the BBC TV, radio, and internet services from time to time in case any of its new, or indeed repeated, programmes do appeal - as you are paying for it anyway you might as well give it a go."

Since the money is being scammed from you for not watching the BBC why not come check out the BBC in case there is something you do like. Ha. Victim blaming or just rubbing their faces in it? Personally I ditched TV as Sky had some good shows but I had no intention of paying the BBC to watch often repeated shows when I can just buy the DVD and watch as often as I want.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon