Reply to post: Re: Maybe just drop your prices and kill illegal streaming? Not likely though

Kodi-pocalypse Now? Actually, it's not quite here yet

tiggity Silver badge

Re: Maybe just drop your prices and kill illegal streaming? Not likely though

logic is different

Theft means the item is gone e.g. someones car gets stolen, they are majorly impacted.

Digital copyright infringement does not result in any digital contest suddenly not existing, it just means someone has copied it without authorisation.

Not the same as theft

And the price (region locking issues) are why a lot of people do it. In the UK if you were a keen sport, TV and film fan, then to get all the content you wanted would be a silly amount of cash per month as you would need to subscribe several different services due to fragmentation (i.e. not all content on all services).

.. and even then, typically no chance of recent US film releases in a legit way from UK due to staggered regional release stupidity which encourages piracy IMHO

I do not consume much TV / film / sport (UK Freeview only) so not affected as made decision that could not justify costs of various non free services (plus lots of non video related activities to keep me busy) but can see the issues it causes those who do like lots of media content.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon