Reply to post: Re: Getting better all the time

After 20 years of Visual Studio, Microsoft unfurls its 2017 edition

CheesyTheClown

Re: Getting better all the time

Maintaining projects other than your own is always a problem. But updating to a new IDE and tool chain is just a matter of course and is rarely a challenge. I've moved millions of lines of code from Turbo C++ to Microsoft C++ 7.0 to Visual C++ 1.2 through Visual Studio 2017. Code may require modifications, but with proper build management, it is quite easy to write code to run on 30 platforms without a single #ifdef.

I've been programming for Linux and Mac using Visual C++ since 1998. I used to write my own build tools, then I used qmake from Qt. Never really liked cmake since it was always hackish.

Now I code mostly C# since I've learned to write code which can generate better machine code after JIT than C++ generally can since it targets the local processor instead of a general class or generation of CPUs. Since MS open sourced C# and .NET, it's truly amazing how tight you can write C#. It's not as optimized as JavaScript, but garbage collected languages are typically substantially more optimal for handling complex data structures than C or C++ unless you spend all your time coding deferred memory cleanup yourself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon