Reply to post:

Firefox 52 kills plugins – except Flash – and runs up a red flag for HTTP

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Roll on the end of Flash

.. which is the exact thing they leave in place. I don't like the sound of "the end of plugins" - I have a number that I like very much, thank you, and I prefer to take such a decision myself. I would have been OK with a health dose of "are you sure?" or an expert mode for that, but wholesale killing off things in an arbitrary manner is too much like Microsoft. Thank God they apparently have left extensions alone for now, but I've killed off updates, just in case.

Speaking of expert mode, why the f*ck does everything HAVE to be HTTPS? Anyone who is just running a mom & pop site merely showing stuff has no need for it, and making it all SSL enabled simply means nothing is cached anymore unless they make the biggest security mistake of all and rely on an SSL proxy (the best place *ever* to monitor user behaviour).

I am very much OK with red alarm flashes and even the re-introduction of blinking (umm, no, maybe not) if a website asks for data entry without the appropriate protection, but to just mandate that as a default is IMHO going too far. That's not protecting, that's nannying. Next thing it will hook up to Alexa and tell you that you should wear a thick coat and scarf when you go out if local temperatures drops..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon