Reply to post: Analysis

Stop the press: Journos not happy losing jobs to journo bots, say journos

John H Woods Silver badge

Analysis

"Whatever happened to reporting the news of the day factually and allowing the reader to form their own opinion, you know like journalists as supposed to do." --- FozzyBear

Whilst I agree, the caveat is that, without a significant change to education (in the UK at least) very many people are not equipped to form their own opinion. Most recent example I came across on FB: someone said "I don't really care what it says in scientific papers, I trust the evidence of my own eyes and ears" Now, this is a reasonably intelligent person, and plenty of other reasonably intelligent people "liked" it and typed their heartfelt agreement, despite the fact that, although it sounds good, it's absolutely stupid.

I don't think fake news is the problem: it's fake analysis ---either at the editorial level or at the level of the reader (or listener or viewer) that is really a problem: correctly spelled, grammatically sound, articulate, authoritative and persuasive text that fundamentally misrepresents either the content or, more often, the meaning, of the facts to which it refers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon