Reply to post: Moving on

Skype-on-Linux graduates from Alpha to Beta status

John Crisp
FAIL

Moving on

As my PFY commented the other day - the only bit of software we have any issues with is the one by Microsoft..... We've voted with our feet and moved off Skype now.

Note that you now cannot register with a business email address - they want you to use Skype for Business, and then the hard sell for all their other cloudy crap (mycompany.co.uk was out but it failed to pickup mycompany.eu)

If you create a private account you don't seem to be able to pick a user name as far as I can see - you end up with some nonsense like live:bloggs4536 and then you don't appear to be able to login with the old linux cient - only via the web page.

If they want you to use a web page/force use of Skype for Business then there are plenty of alternatives if you just want messaging (which is what we mainly use it for at work). We are using RocketChat now which, although under heavy development, has a lot of funky features that Skype doesn't. Plus the data is all mine, and not slurped.

Nice job by Microsoft once again. Take a perfectly reasonable functioning bit of kit and turn it into crap. I guess they are only interested in monetising the business side of it and everyone else can go to hell.

Ah well. So long, and thanks for all the fish :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon