Reply to post: Giving up

Tech contractors begin mass UK.gov exodus in wake of HMRC's IR35 income tax clampdown

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Giving up

Personally, I'm giving up. Reasons?

- The government department I'm with is offering a pretty good (for a permie position) package for me to continue. I get paid leave, personal and sickie, and I think the sheer novelty should be fun for at least a few days.

- I get HMRC and its hostility to all PSC contractors to now concentrate on my career's past rather than the present and future.

Sure, I get a 25%-30% drop in income -- but I'm going to suck it up. At least for a while: with Brexit coming I can see decent contracts starting to dry up, and with this scary-as-f**k HMRC hostility, I seriously need to take stock and see what's going to happen, to the country, economy and to me personally.

I have a foreboding that it's not going to be good, so perhaps the stability of a guaranteed income is not something to be sniffed at. (Besides, I have a family member about to shuffle off this mortal coil way before his time, so I'm kind-of morally tied here in Blighty until that happens anyway.)

But then, friends, I'm off; it breaks my heart, but this country is getting eaten, and at least I have dual citizenship and a place I can go...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon