Reply to post: What a spectacularly questionable argument..

Brit cops can keep millions of mugshots of innocent folks on file

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

What a spectacularly questionable argument..

Astonishingly, the Home Office stopped short of demanding the deletion of all images of innocent people no longer under investigation because, apparently, there are so many photos on file, it would be impractical to ask officers to go through all their databases and remove photographs of individuals who have never been convicted of an offence.

Excuse me, but even for politics this is a load of BS. That's like citizens stating that they have so many speeding tickets and parking fines that it would simply be impractical to pay them all, they will still get done for them and hounded for the extra income, thank you very much. The law applies to EVERYONE. If you deem something too much like hard work you should have thought of that when you started breaking the law in the first place.

Even without SPECIFIC advice it was well known that there was a problem - they could have stopped there and then, and in my opinion data gathered and held in conflict of the first review after that was published should become flat out illegal and should make victims eligible for compensation. To explain the latter: I don't believe in handouts per sé, but in my experience it is unlikely that anyone gets off their fat behind unless it's likely to cost them money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon