Reply to post: failed to "install software updates to the vehicle’s operating system - hmm

New UK laws address driverless cars insurance and liability

M7S

failed to "install software updates to the vehicle’s operating system - hmm

At work we've a policy of reviewing patches and the like before rolling them out, and both there (and at home) we wait a couple of weeks before running things like MS update on the Windows boxes in case there's a problem or something unannounced and generally unwanted, which is why I am not currently typing this on Windows 10, nor do I have an unwanted U2 album in my iTunes.

Given that most members of the public, and in relation to vehicle software I include myself in that, will not be in a position to review the updates and will probably default to "automatic updates" this seems to suggest that the public highways will in effect become a beta testing ground with unaware participants both inside and outside those vehicles. It's all very well saying that the insurance will be valid, and I agree it needs to be, but if some buggy implementation that people cannot uninstall when a problem becomes apparent means I am run over more frequently or knocked off my motorcycle, its not really going to endear me further to the idea of autonomous vehicles about which I am otherwise ambivalent, with a slight bias towards hopefulness.

I recall that there was an Apple OS update for Macs a few years back ago that broke things and people wanted to roll back but were told something along the lines of "you cant" (the previous version was pulled from the website) or "there's no provision to do so". If this applied to cars, telling people unable (for example) to use public transport that they can't drive to work or pick up the kids is a bit more serious than saying they cant use their personal computer for a bit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon