Reply to post: Re: Learn from this and sympathise

KCL external review blames whole IT team for mega-outage, leaves managers unshamed

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Learn from this and sympathise

Let's be honest. I know that here we have not done any sort of backup test for ages. I'm willing to bet that most (if not all of you and the register too) haven't either. Businesses arn't normally all that keen to let you take systems down to do this.

Oh no, we test. There's a simple reason for that: we also have BCM competence and we class a failing backup as a company extinction event - if we cannot recover IT within 48h we hit all sorts of problems, including regulatory ones. This makes it easy to defend such tests, and we have two data centres that each are capable of taking a full load for a few hours (at impaired performance, but at least it doesn't all come to a grinding halt) so we basically kill one off completely, every 6 months (it means that in a year we have both tested).

That said, it is NOT a very comfortable thing to do. Even though we know it all works in theory, hearing it all spin down at once is nerve wrecking (first we kill power to see if UPS + generators pick up, but after that we kill main power to simulate a catastrophic event). I think we may put the next one on video for our customers, that gives us at least some marketing capital as a return on effort..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon