Reply to post: "Best" -v- "Good Enough"

Motorola's modular Moto Z: A fine phone for a weekend away

Martin an gof Silver badge

"Best" -v- "Good Enough"

I think the "no pressing need" argument is the problem here. Those of us who want photographs a bit better than standard phone cameras - in particular optical zoom and a decent flash - are quite happy to carry around a camera for that purpose, whether that be a full-blown SLR or something small and compact.

Everyone else is happy with what their phones offer. I mean, it's only eleven or twelve years ago that I was carrying disposable film cameras around in my coat pocket, for those opportunistic snaps when I didn't have the SLR handy, and many (most?) phone cameras now match the (daylight) quality I got from those.

My wife has a Canon Ixus, a 160 I think, or a 165, which isn't any more bulky to carry around than the camera back for this phone, takes reasonably good pictures (bit grainy at times), doesn't rely on the phone's battery and has its own memory card. It's the work of a moment to swap a dead battery for the charged spare which sits next to the camera in her bag.

There's even an alpha version of CHDK for it, so you can shoot RAW should you want to.

On the other hand, how about pushing the snap-on module concept to the corporate sector? You could quite easily think of a range of add-ons that would help in (for example) stock control or warehouse management; things like ticket printers or barcode scanners...

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon