Reply to post: Re: The ads are bad...

Ad men hope blocking has stalled as sites guilt users into switching off

Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: The ads are bad...

This.

The phenomenon of "ad networks" separates the ones whose negligence allows malware through from the ones whose reputation is damaged by infecting their (potential) customers. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that there is a perverse incentive to cut corners and the one who suffers most as a result is the end-user who didn't install an ad blocker.

But they'll learn. Ads used to be irritating, then they were a performance hog, and now they are malware. Joe Public has long understood the first and many now understand the second (and use an ad blocker "to speed up the web"). It is really only a matter of time before they understand the third. Then, surely, the game is up.

Or is it? The truly remarkable thing is that companies pay anyone to do it, even today. I can remember ads that I saw on the telly *40 years ago*. I honestly cannot remember a single ad I've seen on the internet. Not one. It beggars belief that it is worth spending a single penny on internet advertising, so what sort of deluded soul is deciding that "The Internet" is the place to spend their advertising budget?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon