Reply to post: Windows 2016, Gluster & Docker/OpenStack?

Hyperconverged market gets hyper-competitive as new riders enter field

CheesyTheClown

Windows 2016, Gluster & Docker/OpenStack?

Is it a competition to see who will pay the most money to keep using VMware? Honestly, storage is part of the base OS now... networking too... unless you want to pay more and use VMware... which well doesn't really solve anything anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for retro things. But it seems like hyperconverged products from EMC, Cisco, HP/Simplivity or NetApp is more about spending money for absolutely no apparent reason.

In addition, I can't really understand why server vendors are still screwing around with enterprise SSD when Microsoft, Gluster and others have obsoleted the need for it. Dual-ported SAS or NVMe seems like the dumbest idea I've heard of in a while.

People, reliability, redundancy and performance comes from sharding and scale out. When you depend on things like dual-ported storage, you actually limit your reliability, performance and redundancy.

And no... fibre channel is longer a viable option for storage connectivity anymore. Why do you think the FC ASIC vendors are experimenting with alternative protocols over their fabrics?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon