Reply to post: KISS

Global IPv4 address drought: Seriously, we're done now. We're done

John Crisp

KISS

The problem with adoption is for the average grunt it isn't so simple, and lack of compatibility. It may seem simple if you are CCNA or whatever, but that doesn't apply to swarms of users.

IPv6 may be the coolest thing since sliced bread, but if they had wanted rapid adoption then it has to be made easy to do. It just isn't, plain and simple.

The issues with lack of IPv4 addresses can be skated around with NAT so there is no hard ceiling to force adoption.

And whilst large swathes of ISPs don't offer it, how can users try it? The ISPs will be the driver for change. If they don't offer it then you can't blame users for not adopting it.

My own big bug bear is I don't want to be beholden to my ISP running my dhcp for every client, which is what some seem to want to do, presumably so they can keep a closer eye on me.

Until ISPs convert fully and it is offered to everyone, and it is easier to migrate, this will continue to be a global mess and a lingering sore which we'll be moaning about for decades to come.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon