Reply to post: Re: Timely advice

The Register's guide to protecting your data when visiting the US

Kiwi
Big Brother

Re: Timely advice

I am going to see the eclipse, as I had booked tickets already. I am wondering what they will make of all the kit I will be carrying to record the event, but in my experience the response to carrying telescopes and the like is generally that you get put into the category "Harmless nerd".

Might I suggest you look at hiring equipment while there and only take the bare minimum? After all I am sure the US customs people, and likely lots of their cops, are well-versed in how one can build all sorts of weapons from those parts, from using the scope tube as some sort of cannon or casing for a nukleaaaaar bomb or using the scope as a high-power laser simply by turning it backwards and pointing a laser pointer at it the wrong way (after all if it makes the sun ignite paper, just imagine what a laser pointer can do !!11!!!!!1!!1!!!!1!!1!).

Besides, while you might be considered "mostly harmless nerd" by most, there are some bullies who wind up as baggage handlers who like to be "mostly harmful" to expensive kit. Would hate to see any 'scope getting harmed by these twits and their less-than-gentle handling of stuff.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon