Reply to post: Re: The thing about Linux Desktop

Munich may dump Linux for Windows

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The thing about Linux Desktop

"For instance with KDE they still haven't figured out a way to install program icons properly into the menu due a lack of standard way to do so. Not all programs that exist in Linux support KDE and so on. Making this a rather big problem."

Who's "they"? In general if the application exists in the distro it will have menu entries complete with icons installed. In addition 3rd party packages available as .debs will also install in the menu. Something you download as a tarball, maybe not. In any event I end up shuffling things around in the menu to suit myself, something that Windows seems to move away from with every successive release.

BTW there is a standard way to do it: https://www.freedesktop.org/

Gnome, like KDE, comes with a set of default applications. These are usually tied to the Gnome libraries. If they're deeply integrated into Gnome, Evolution for example, it's likely that you won't install them without bringing in the whole of Gnome with it even if it's not your default desktop. In general this isn't necessary although some extra libraries might be needed, I even run galculator as my preferred calculator.

I'm with you on systemd - when I found I couldn't get Wacom working with it I went to Devuan although I have concerns about their chances in the long run as systemd insinuates itself further into the Linux ecosystem.

As I said in another post, FreeBSD seem to see themselves as primarily a server OS which is why they might not be quite the ideal desktop. Nevertheless I'd have gone with it as desktop OS if Wacom had been better implemented.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon