Reply to post: Re: How does this work in the EU?

2009 IBM: Teleworking will save the WORLD! 2017 IBM: Get back to the office or else

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: How does this work in the EU?

Indeed.

I actually have a written contract amendment which states that my working location is my house. My closest formal IBM office is >70 miles away. There are no customer requirements which require me to be in an IBM office (and in fact access to the customer facilities would be far more difficult to perform if I have to work from an IBM office). My closest team colleague is somewhere between 200 and 300 miles away. I don't know anyone in the "local" office, and they have no links to me.

Add in that the commute would be ~1.5 hours each way, and a train season ticket would cost me ~£5k (never mind having to get to the train station, transport at the other end etc).

So - massive personal disruption, significant loss in earnings, no benefit at all, and no actual business case that backs this up.

This is IBM insanity at its worst. If (when?) the order comes to move, I'll find a local solicitor and ask about the possibility of a Constructive Dismissal claim. Probably not going to succeed, but at that point I will have nothing left to lose.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon