Reply to post:

Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking products – and it's not just Cisco hit

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I worked at NetApp when they encountered the PCI/NMI error whereas a sub standard adhesive caused controllers throw up protection faults and panic. I have never seen so much effort go into Cover Up, Playing Down, Case Manage and Control Communications (inside as well as outside the organisation).

The Company went into full damage control mode, so concerned about reputation that the technical fault itself became a secondary issue. For NetApp only a few thousand systems were affected, yet they couldn't keep up with producing/refurbishing the number of fixed boards required. It took months to years to fix the last customers.

Now imagine intel with millions of C2000's and most of them on SoC's.

I can tell you this:

If you are large customer with a large vendor (e.g. a large Cisco customer) you get fixed first. Cisco say they would prioritise systems by operational age, but that's BS. Customer's get prioritised by the size of impact and potential of negative press. Therefore large Telco's will come first. Cisco wants to avoid negative press at all costs. "ISP or Mobile Carrier went down due to faulty Cisco gear", would affect a lot of people and generate a lot of negative press.

If you are a small'ish vendor of C2000 systems -or - you are a customer of those systems - you are screwed!

That hot potato will stay in your hands until the large vendors and customers are fixed. Next comes the medium businesses and finally the guys at home with their Synology NAS' come last.

The reason you don't hear a thing from your vendor - is not because they're unaware of the issue - it's because they're developing strategies to minimise their costs. And sorry - they don't give a shit about you (the customer) and the fact that your gear (or business) may fail at any time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon