Reply to post: I was going to do something about this study, but...

What's the difference between you and a sea slug? When it comes to IT security, nothing

Nimby
Devil

I was going to do something about this study, but...

Turns out the study is just like many I have read before. I'm sure it had a perfectly valid point in it somewhere (likely amidst a sea of crap) but it was so boring I couldn't be bothered. Blah blah blah. I just clicked it away. After all, I have important work to do writing my security software suite for BeOS...

Okay, not really. But you get the point.

The problem is not that the average user gets bored seeing the same security notice over and over and over and over and over. THE PROBLEM IS EXPECTING USERS TO BE SYSADMINS!

Seriously. Bob from accounting just got caught looking at smut on his work PC AGAIN and Lucy the office temp just began to suspect that her Praba handbag MIGHT be a cheap knockoff. Daryl ran out of gas on the way to work, again, as if the dashboard has neither a dial indicating fullness nor a big red idiot light. And Chufty the Clown's daytime ratings just went up phenomenally after her "wardrobe malfunction".

In other words, the world is full of people who are just not sysadmins. So why on Earth would anyone put the responsibility of computer security squarely in their hands? Recipe for failure much?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon