Reply to post: Re: Modern films are crap

Sony takes $1bn writedown: Streaming has killed the DVD star

Oh Homer
Childcatcher

Re: Modern films are crap

I tend to agree ... mostly.

The so-called "Top Gun generation" effect (as coined by Mark Harris of GQ) has indeed spawned a remodelled film industry that seems to only produce comic-book adaptations for American millennials.

But even an old cynic like me has to concede that there are a few diamonds in the rough. I'm quite looking forward to "Gifted", for example, although serious adult drama does seem to be a dying breed in general, especially serious adult drama that's well written.

I believe that last bit may be the key to why modern films are mostly crap. All the great story writers gave up and went home, after being disenfranchised by a greedy industry that refused to recognise the significance of their contributions, then failed to provide them with a reward commensurate with that contribution, whilst investors and A-list actors walked off with millions.

The result is vacuous garbage with no real story that relies entirely upon CGI, sex and formulaic reinterpretations of pulp fiction, just as you would expect from a bunch of talentless amateurs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon