Reply to post:

Oracle effectively doubles licence fees to run its stuff in AWS

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

We run our main systems on Oracle and us MS SQL Server for a number of other systems including web backend (all fairly small scale)

If we were able to, I would convert everything over to MS SQL Server in an instant. Far fewer issues, easier to maintain, better tool set, easier to troubleshoot etc. Even with a highly paid Oracle DBA we had to strip out an Oracle RAC and replace is with a single server due to consistency issues - he said there were a number of bugs with RAC).

If you are an Oracle DBA and have cut your teeth on it and been running it for years -therefore know all the ridiculous quirks that it seems to have and have a good collection of scripts at your disposal I can see why you'd be reluctant to look elsewhere.

However I struggle to see where it fits for the vast majority of organisations out there nowadays. Especially when you have to deal with Oracle as an organisation on top of the product itself.

However YMMV.

[Just with regards to the licensing though, if running MS SQL Server in a virtual environment you have to licence per virtual core. Therefore the recommendation where possible would be to disable hyperthreading as you will pay for each hyper-threaded virtual core rather than getting the full capacity of the non-hyperthreaded single core for the same fee. This is with SQL SERVER 2008/2012 with on-premise Hypervisors]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon