Reply to post: Re: Alternative Facts

'I AM TWEETING TRUTH TO POWER: AND YOU CAN'T STOP MY FACTS, MR PRESIDENT!'

Richard Plinston Silver badge

Re: Alternative Facts

> I see the alleged "fact bombs" saying things like "97% of scientists" and my first reaction is always "_WHICH_ scientists"?

But it is only the deniers that say "97% of scientists" as a way of making it look meaningless. The actual quote is:

"""Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities."""

A simple Google search is all that was required to answer your question of "_WHICH_".

The issue is not whether climate change is happening, that is unarguable. The issue is: what is the cause of the change. The relationship between CO2 levels and 'greenhouse effect' has been established. The cause of the rise in CO2 is clear. The only argument left is what will happen over the next few years: the fundamentalist conservatives (which Trump has aligned himself with) say that "God will fix it because He is on Our side". The oil companies (which Trump has investments in) simply deny it is happening (cf Tobacco companies and lung cancer). Deniers say it is just an environmentalist conspiracy plot to boost their funding (which Trump will cancel when he dismantles the EPA which interferes with his oil stocks).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019