Reply to post: Re: It is not the backward, it is the forward bit which is the issue

Windows 10 networking bug derails Microsoft's own IPv6 rollout

bombastic bob Silver badge
Linux

Re: It is not the backward, it is the forward bit which is the issue

"What Microsoft is doing is the right thing (for once) - trying to manage it correctly via DHCP."

I'm already doing that. I have the routing advertisements going around, AND isc-dhcp running for both IPv4 _AND_ IPv6. When I ran Windows 10 on it [back in the 'insider' days, as a sanity test] it _seemed_ to work, but I didn't test it very long. Windows 7 seems to work ok, and I had IPv6 working on an XP box, even. [I needed to know what ports it listens on so I could firewall them with the FreeBSD gateway/router].

So I think I'm qualified to criticize Micro-shaft when they're trying to do exactly what _I_ did a few years ago. And it's _NOT_ "rocket surgery".

(actually the info over on he.net was helpful, as well as other documentation available online)

So,when I fire up the installer for a debian Linux box, the installer correctly discovers the IPv6 routing information and starts downloading packages via IPv6. When I connect a 'droid device to my network, it routes properly via IPv6. And of course everything else that's configured.

As for Active Directory - that's a Micro-shaft problem, not mine. If it's not inherently broken, it should work just fine as well. Maybe they should try using a Samba server running on Linux or FreeBSD ???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon