Reply to post: Re: a friendless loner

Brilliant phishing attack probes sent mail, sends fake attachments

Queasy Rider

Re: a friendless loner

Way back when, I never gave out personal info over the net, and yet, a decade ago I searched my name and there I was, loud and proud. I deduced, by various means, that the local phone co. had sold my info. Not long after that, I dropped my landline, and went with a PAYG mobile. Last week I googled myself again and noted with satisfaction that I had disappeared from the web. So you can imagine my surprise when YESTERDAY, I climbed into a friend's car and she handed me a photo and asked me if I knew anybody there; and there, staring me in the face were my sister-in-law, her 2 daughters, and grandchild. I was shocked, and asked how she got that pic. "Oh, I was surfing in the library, and I printed it out for free."

"But how and where did you find that?"

"Don't have a clue."

Well, neither do I. She swears she never entered my name, and she has nothing in common with my sister-in-law who lives 2,000 km away.

I guess I'm not so lonely anymore. Damned Facebook. And no, I don't have a Facebook account, but you can't tell all your extended family to leave you off the web.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019