Reply to post: Re: Alternative OS? Tried the Live USB of Fedora 25

Microsoft's Blue Screen of Death dead in latest Windows 10 preview

Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: Alternative OS? Tried the Live USB of Fedora 25

I'm in the process of trying to go Mint, it has not been painless.

Sure the OS install was a breeze, everything after that..... The daily updates it needs are a pain, I'm getting an awful lot of practice typing my password. The first job I tried to do with it required real Java not the pseudo good-enough-for-webshit NotJava that was installed. Getting that was a bollock ache. Then the applet (is that the right buzzword for a Java application?) utterly failed to run. Write once run anywhere? The only part that was easy was the USB driver (only part available in the package manager). Give up use a Win7 laptop instead.

Next the non jobs I use a laptop for when stuck in a hotel room, watching iPlayer (nope) or watching Amazon (nope again). I can watch FuckallworthwatchingTube though. All three allegedly use run anywhere HTML5. Give up and use a Win7 laptop instead.

There's no hope on earth of the applications (SCADA & PLC tools) I use in most of my day job ever finding their way to Linux.

I starting to even doubt my next SQL+Perl job will be as easy on Linux as the penguinistas would have me believe.

I haven't tried Libre Office yet, if the spreadsheet gets me a customisable experience anywhere near Excel, Visio & Terd 2007 I shall persist with the above issues. If it's as customisable as The Fucking Ribbon™ I may as well stick with the devil I know, learn how to use the Office 2016 deployment tool (fuckyou very much indeed MS for making the 2016 installer all or nothing) and give up on linux. When Win7 goes EOL I'll just be heading up to the roof, I may be a while.

I have 20 years of my working life left, I seriously doubt I will ever be as productive as I was on XP + Office 2007.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon