Reply to post:

FM now stands for 'fleeting mortality' in Norway

Lee D Silver badge

Easier:

Ditch AM, FM, DAB and DAB+. And analogue TV (we're still doing NOTHING with those frequencies, right?)

Allocate the frequencies to 3G/4G/5G.

Do everything over IP, including streaming audio.

Anything else is really just putting off the inevitable. Kids don't use the radio features - some phones don't even have it any more. They stream. And if you increase the bandwidth and transmit on all possible frequencies, then you can use them for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING rather than one purpose for the lifetime of the technology/license.

Not saying make them public wifi, but make them available for Internet carriers and let them use them for everything else (phones, radio, TV, etc.), all at the same time.

DAB/DAB+ would be vastly outclassed by the most basic of streams over 3G.

I've sat in carparks outside football stadiums streaming entire series of TV over 4G.

And if you blanked the country once in tech to do this, you can basically pay minimal upgrades/maintenance but yet still use it for anything you like.

"oIP" is being tacked onto everything nowadays. I work IT, and if I had to start a new site, I wouldn't let them run anything but Ethernet, Wifi and GSM and we'd do everything over IP. No analogue phone lines, no TV aerials, no satellite dishes, no burglar alarm lines, none of that nonsense.

It just bugs me that we all hastily gathered our things at great expense to free up all the TV analogue channels and yet they're still barely being used.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon