Reply to post: Re: I'm not calling you a liar, but I do find it hard to believe.

Hackers could turn your smart meter into a bomb and blow your family to smithereens – new claim

Kiwi

Re: I'm not calling you a liar, but I do find it hard to believe.

Hence the resort of climbing the pole and disconnecting them there - which I would think is no different and no more dangerous than hooking up the service in the first place. It's the exact same thing they'd have to do if the building was torn down, and only affects the one customer.

Where poles exist. Not all of us have them.

Often suburbs are created in one hit, and the electrical supply is done at the same time, in that when they put the pole up they also put up the wires to each house off that pole. Poles get replaced of course, and other repairs have to be done at times, but safety means avoiding risk, so they limit the number of times people have to go up poles.

I can understand popping the fuse link from a pole should someone be bypassing their meter. But the times I've had to have power turned on to a place it's never involved someone coming out to visit. Well, in one disputed case yes someone came out - but that was because of the previous owners and the company was doing a physical first read. The meter reader did not turn the power on, he just told them to go ahead when they were ready, which IIRC was another hour or so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon