Reply to post: Re: "Smart meters are 'dangerously insecure'"

Hackers could turn your smart meter into a bomb and blow your family to smithereens – new claim

Ogi

Re: "Smart meters are 'dangerously insecure'"

> If your electricity meter is outside your house, your electrictiy co is doing it very very wrong.

I don't know where you live, but every single property I have lived/rented/been in, had the electricity meter outside the property.

The only place where I didn't see this was an old victorian house. There the wiring entered in the cellar, and the electricity meter was in there, with wiring going off everywhere else.

I think most post victorian built buildings have the meter outside, so the electricity man can check/repair/alter the meter without needing entry into the house.

Bonus: You don't have to be in for the electricity engineer to come work on the meter or read off the values.

Downside: You can't stop them working on the meter by denying them entry to your home. In theory if the government decide in future, they can replace your meter with a smart one with nothing more than a notification. If it is in the house, they would need your permission to enter to do the install, and you could refuse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon