Reply to post: Re: Get off my lawn!

Programmer finds way to liberate ransomware'd Google Smart TVs

Kiwi
Boffin

Re: Get off my lawn!

Some of us oldtimers remember when the on/off switch/button physically disconnected the device from power-- and we write/speak accordingly.

Back in my TV repair days we came across an interesting beastie. Was quite warm even when the physical power switch had been turned off. Some sort of weird no-name cheap Chinese brand (probably whatever proceeded "Goldstar"), so we had a look inside (wasn't in the shop for a fault that would require opening it up).

Now Sony had a TV that'd been out for nearly 20 years by that point. The tubes on those ones were great because so long as it was attached to live mains, the tube heater elements were energised - preventing the stresses of heating/cooling/heating as the device was turned on and off. For a minuscule power cost the life of the TV (and especially the tube) was greatly improved.

This weird TV seemed to be along similar lines, only when you used the switch to turn it off, instead of cutting off the power from the thing the switch acted between the power supply and the rest of the TV's circuits, and switched over to a couple of ballast resistors. I think the TV may've drawn more current when "off" than when actually on!

That was in 1990/91. Stupid designs were being made in TV's even back then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon