Reply to post: Re: In principle...

Ham-fisted: Chap's radio app killed remotely after posting bad review

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: In principle...

...I don't see any difference between this company and the fake "Microsoft Support" guy who talks your Nan into downloading ransomware onto their PC.

I do. The company disabled only their own software, nothing else. It's still a fantastically stupid thing to do, not just because of bad PR but also because you could construe this as fraud (taking money and then remove the functionality licensed to the customer without a refund process in play), but at least they contained their stupidity to their own software and nothing more.

Things get different if you're an OS provider and screw over a system's ability to, for instance, pick up a DHCP issued IP address and do so on a global scale. That buggers up complete platforms, yet has zero consequences for the provider because you're by now used to that - they trained you into accepting utter crap and then still buy the upgrade.

I mainly have questions about the thinking of people who deem withdrawing service via remote control in any way, shape or form an acceptable reaction to a bad review. Not only is that combining a Ratner's with the Streisand effect, but it's also not a decision to be taken by a support droid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon