Reply to post:

It's round and wobbles, but madam, it's a mouse pad, not a floppy disk

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I still look both ways crossing any road. I tell myself it's for that reason. Plus I when being taught to cross roads I said, "I have right of way" when stepping onto a crossing - only to be told, "and do you want those to be your last words?"

I've always been quite careful, but it really became a tic after I moved abroad. I was OK on arrival in Belgium, where the cars are on the wrong side of the road. Even on my first trip out there for the job interview I instantly looked the correct way for oncoming traffic. No problems at all. Once I'd moved, the first time I came back to Blighty - total confusion. I couldn't work out which way to look, had to think about it each time, and then just thought sod it and looked both ways each time.

I was fine when I went back again. But when I came to live in the UK again it took me a couple of months to be able to automatically look the right way if there wasn't an arrow. By which point I'd built up the habit of looking both ways to such an extent I can't get rid of it.

The weirdest thing is that when I go abroad for holidays, I have no problems at all.

My brain probably needs a firmware update. Where's the right place to stick the floppy?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019