Reply to post: Re: If only someone....

Ransomware scum offer free decryption if you infect two mates

9Rune5

Re: If only someone....

"I've still yet to figure out if this stuff would attack a "cloud", but I don't see why not if it's mounted."

A while back, somebody on this forum told the story of such an infection. BUT! The backup vendor in question had a backup of several generations worth of changes. Rolling back to a point in time before the attack took place, and presto: The originals restored, safe and sound.

The vendor mentioned was Carbonite and after reading about them here I became a subscriber. Roughly four years ago I think. I haven't had any use for them so far, but my local storage isn't getting younger or healthier.

YMMV, but dealing with DVDs is hardly a walk in the park. I have had the "pleasure" of retrieving some of my old DVD backups, and though some files survived, others did not. It is a very temporary way of storing files. (I doubt I even found all the DVDs I started out with) Depends of course what you are saving. In my case 1TB worth of pictures. Those files never change, so not too tempting to keep weekly backups around on tapes or optical storage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon