Reply to post: Re: Data Protection?

AWS is coming for UK infrastructure suppliers' lunch – report

pauleverett

Re: Data Protection?

there is EU wide 10 year data retention requirement for any kind of financial/transnational information. That is not east German, it's something anyone doing trade eCommerce should be aware of, and has been in place for a few years now. That data is required to be on a server, in the EU. When you commit to AWS for long term storage, it is basically doomed if anything happens to you, or your operation within the next 10 years, that might result in your payments to Amazon, stopping. Once you stop paying, your data will vanish, and your are breaking the law, by not fulfilling your storage obligation. storage is not an option, it is an obligation. so if your under some bridge somewhere, in the middle of winter, in a few years time, and amazon deletes your data, you could potentially get a few nights free lodgings, or a fine you cant pay.

My point is,I don't need amazon, with its monthly payments, for my long term storage. I need a service that allows me to store my data, securely, for 10 years, for a fixed fee, and no matter what happens, that data is safe, and I don't have to pay for it every month. I need that now, whilst I am still able to pay for it, and deduct it. 10 years is a long time, and shit does happen. IMO it doesn't matter how cheep it is, the idea of a monthly payment, forever, for my data, is scary. I am still looking for the right solution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon