Reply to post: Re: Bad UX? Crap customer service? Let's blame the user!

Sysadmin figures out dating agency worker lied in his profile

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Bad UX? Crap customer service? Let's blame the user!

> So, because a single user can't figure out how to switch between fields without using the ENTER key, you disable the ENTER key, so that no one can use it.

1. If it's me designing the system, I will be working on the basis of tests run with an appropriate number of users, not just one. A problem that is exhibited in just one instance may or may not grant a requirements change, depending on a number of factors.

2. In the scenario under discussion (such as a vanilla web form with an input control of type "submit"), the ENTER key does not "switch between fields" in general. It, depending on implementation, activates the default control (such as the submit button in the example given). Switching between fields is precisely what the user in the story was attempting to do.

> Great, thanks!

Why the sarcasm?

> Now we all have to work harder,

Can you explain how?

> just because one guy couldn't adapt to a new system,

As someone with actual experience designing systems of varying complexity and nature, I believe that the system should adapt to its users, not the other way around.

> and some idiot

Some idiot? Can you please elaborate?

> catered to the lowest common denominator.

What would the lowest common denominator be, how would it have been catered to (the original post gives a number of possibilities apart from the one you quote), and how does that disadvantage other users?

Go on, please explain so that we can all make better systems, based on your insights!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon