Reply to post: Eww. Just.. Eww.

Loyalty card? Really? Why data-slurping store cards need a reboot

Kiwi
Stop

Eww. Just.. Eww.

"Whenever a transaction is recorded it goes back to our database and returns information based on the customer," he says. "This enables them to address a customer by name, and enable them to put messages onto certain customers profiles immediately."

These messages could be to alert a customer that they've left their umbrella in the shop – or could be a note for the retailer to remember to upsell an item that wasn't there the last time the consumer was at the store.

That's just so fucking icky I have no more words.

"If they were at the bakers and they wanted a chocolate éclair, but the bakers didn't have it in, they could make an agreement with the consumer that they will have it in stock next time, and can market this through both email and in person when they have those éclairs in," Meakin says.

Back in 1976 I needed something for my model trains. Mom and I went and visited a couple of model shops, neither had the part. So she asked one to order it in, and gave them our phone number. Couple of weeks later (this is the mid 70's after all!) the part arrived, the store called us..

Simples. No need for all-you-ever-ate databases.

Think it's back to getting cash from an ATM1 and only using that to buy things from now on. Although my bank has shown no indication that it could on-sell my purchase history (and would have to spend a moment laughing at NZ's "privacy law" to do so), or my local shops are building a profile based on my ATM card, I just don't like the idea that they could. I'll take my privacy over any supposed benefits.

1"Automatic teller ATM machine" for those who are pissed off by such things :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon