Reply to post: Re: what Vegans think will happen to all those animals we breed for food and dairy

Vegans furious as Bank of England admits ‘trace’ of animal fat in £5 notes

smartypants

Re: what Vegans think will happen to all those animals we breed for food and dairy

The sheep, cows and turkeys I encounter in the fields on my walks seem happy enough. Granted this happiness dips a short while before their death, but that's a lot less suffering than the average cow experiences when it lives out its natural life - or for that matter, a human.

I understand that there is a lot of suffering in the food chain, but plenty of suppliers care about the welfare of the animals they rear and they're not hard to find, People like me push our business their way, and we don't pay more for meat... we just eat a bit less of it.

Finally, if vegans want wild things to live in the wild, they need to be more vocal about the size of the human population, because it's our need for fields which displaces wildlife, and that continues to rise in line with the rise in population size and living standards, and giving up meat won't fix that in the long run.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019