Reply to post: Re: Is there a reason why...

Brit smart streetlight bods Telensa named 'global market leader'

m0rt

Re: Is there a reason why...

"That based on working for a company that designs streetlighting installations, erects and manages these things (not to mention the day to day experience because our large HQ and surrounding estate has had LED streetlighting for a decade now). But you stay up there on your high horse.

Since you think there should be more "joined up thinking", what exactly would you like joined up?"

Ok - not a high horse. It was a geniune question - you made a definitive statement which I wanted qualified. Surely this is a reasonable thing to do?

So take the first one:

"That based on working for a company that designs streetlighting installations"

Right - which are the very things that certain groups of people, myself included, are not happy with. Taking aside the astronomy aspect for a moment as I think you will struggle to find much agreement with astronomers who have the sodium replaced with broadband lighting, all the installs that have been both my own address and my parents address, two different County areas btw, result in considerable increased light pollution within the home. Wheras before the sodium wavelengths were soft, this is now harsh and, to my mind, irritating on a nightly basis.

With this in mind - what were the design goals of the lights you design?

To state that X is the case, that must mean you have evidence of X in order for it to be true.

"Since you think there should be more "joined up thinking", what exactly would you like joined up?"

From my persepective, the use of these lights - what is their primary purpose? To provide light for, as someone said, seeing more detail of your assailant/suspect? Or or to provide a safety feature to allow enough light to see by without the aid of a torch. Maybe shrouding so it doesn't send needless light into the upper bedrooms of nearby housing. Maybe altering the wavelength so it doesn't destroy night vision. This was just off the cuff, admittedly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon