Typical brain dead manufacturer with razor margins doing what the do best
It is very simple. Do the OPPOSITE of what Microsoft/RIM/Apple and Android have all tried and failed at.
1. Communicate. Answer emails.
2. Be open and welcoming. Allow proper access to hardware (hackable) + driver source/specs/instruction set so people can do interesting things with only token barriers, including API/access to the the RIL and lower level functions, like BBOpen
3.Sell a phone with bands enabled or configurable for USA/Europe/Asia like the Nexus 5x.
4. Sell phone in USA,UK and elsewhere and on Amazon for ease of access and anywhere there are smart people with time on their hands (Eastern Europe etc)
5. Tell all the jailbreak/hacker groups + Replicant etc they can play and make money with commercial apps. Let them run wild.
6. Tell and/or make available to industry groups that need a general purpose computer with 4G who will put it to uses they never could have imagined, like cardiac monitor, aviation maps, restaurant ordering, embedded controller, remote camera, etc
7. You will have a thriving ecosystem in about 12 months.