Reply to post: Re: How can any decent voter

US citizens crash Canadian immigration site after Trump victory

smartypants

Re: How can any decent voter

I don't think it's fair to say people are disenfranchised.

We get to elect MPs. It is certainly the case that today, the turnout isn't so high, but then there are also more parties. So it's unreasonable to compare the two periods.

In addition, whereas in the 30s, conditions for ordinary people were far worse than they are today by any material measure, the big challenge being today that ordinary people are dying of the diseases once the preserve of those with money (diseases of excess and sloth), rather than starving and dying of easily-cured disease.

The voting system is what it is. I don't particularly care about voting methods as much as some, but I don't think the rules benefit the few at the expense of the masses.

UKIP is an example of what can happen under our current system - i.e. from nowhere comes a new party that has the potential to start electing MPs in many places. Or just look at the collapse of the Labour vote in Scotland - which ironically led to a Tory government, and eventually Brexit.

These are two examples of how people's voting makes a real difference under our system. Whilst I'm personally appalled at recent events, I still consider our country to be a democracy, though it's never felt harder to defend that word than today.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon