Reply to post: Re: @4ecks - If we can solve the power supply issue…

In assault on American values, Lockheed blasts pickup with raygun

's water music

Re: @4ecks - If we can solve the power supply issue…

Seems like on El Reg there must be either a) a lot of idiotic pedestrians or b) a lot of car drivers who think that if they have to sit in a queue then so should everyone else!

I don;t think you made it clear enough that you had in mind a scenario where the traffic light was green but a stationary queue of motor vehicles was present with adequate space between lanes for a cyclist to filter. It is legitimate for either a crossing pedestrian (uk, no jaywalking laws) or a road using cyclist (green light) to proceed. Both have a responsibility to avoid collisions. In the hierarchy of vulnerable road users the cyclist probably has a little more. You could make an argument of courtesy for the pedestrians to yield to the cyclist. You could also make an argument about relative levels or responsibility for either party dependent on how foreseeable it was for the other party to be there. I can only control my own behaviour so when crossing a road on foot or filtering through traffic on a bike I always try to look first and proceed at a pace where I can stop if another road user isn't taking the same amount of care. I found commuting became less stressful if I focused less on feeling wronged and more on how I could cooperate with other road users whilst still making reasonable progress. But yes, like gender politics, OS and smartphone wars, cycling issues tend to attract bloc voters (in both directions) around here

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon