Reply to post:

Apple fans using Chrome on alert for Mac malware

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Glad it's not just me that picked up on that "astute" line.

It was a new one for me too. I thought the original audience was the creative crowd who may be have a good technical knowledge on design, but generally less on IT (that said, the ones doing animation are of another class altogether).

From my experience, Mac users think they are invincible and don't even understand that opening unwarranted attachments is a dangerous thing on any OS.

End users are end users are end users. You can even trojan a Linux box with deception if you can convince an innocent end user to install your stuff.

I still hear the "don't get viruses on Mac / Linux" lines and I cannot resist correcting them.

I didn't like the Apple campaign in that respect either. At the time it was correct, but at the same time it was the Internet equivalent of fitting a "kick me" sign on the back of Mac users as well as making them careless. Not their finest moment.

I'm a MASSIVE Linux fan. I hate Mac. But they are both general purpose operating systems that, along with Windows, have all kinds of vulnerabilities that can be exploited if any user is lax in how they manage incoming data.

I like both Linux and macOS - the former we use on servers, the latter as desktop. Work :).

It doesn't matter the patch-level, the OS revision or the OS type itself, they are all vulnerable. Thinking otherwise is like trying to convince yourself that just because you live in a nice area, or have a lock on your door, that you won't get burgled.

True to some degree - the difference lies in how much effort you have to invest in keeping it safe. For our use, it's simply less with Linux and macOS and because we pretty much abandoned Windows our expertise there has aged which doesn't help either..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon