Reply to post: Re: "Oh look!! It has a display. And a keyboard."

New MacBook Pro beckons fanbois to become strip pokers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "Oh look!! It has a display. And a keyboard."

Your argument is weak and your fanboi is showing.

Honestly? So your own limited world view must apply to everyone? Oh dear, another instance of that rapidly spreading global mental disease that only permits a black and white view, a for or against. Woe betide anyone who disagrees with ye presumed godly opinion, I guess?

Frankly, I couldn't care less about what needs "defending" - I gave you my perspective. We mostly deploy Apple gear for simple business reasons (and no, I'm not going into an argument there either - a 3 year TCO that includes addressing high grade security needs, license management overhead, patching downtime vs risk exposure, availability of service/repair locations worldwide and the cost of software on macOS pretty much mandates Apple for our specific needs), and the main repair issues we have tend to centre around connectors that are used when mobile people jack into their desk setup.

I also couldn't care less what the PC world does except when it runs Linux and FreeBSD, and we tend to deploy that on servers in our datacentre and inside VMs for those who need it on console (although it mostly involves terminal work).

On my desk right now is a 15" Retina MBP which has a power connector, an Ethernet link via Thunderbolt, a display connection and a USB3 cable for a USB hub which connects a cabled keyboard, a USB3 backup disk (we build out own) and a Logitech mouse (I don't like Apple mice). The 3.5mm jack is also sometimes occupied by a trick that we worked out to con a Mac into accepting an external microphone (Macs need to see a headset impedance on the TRRS connector before they switch mike to the jack). That's 4, sometimes 5 connections that are made several times a day and especially USB connectors tend to fail first.

Now I am looking at a refresh where I may slowly bring all of that down to one (1) jack that takes all of that via an interface box (which I'll add to my kit costs), and I have 3 spares on the machine in case it wears out, On top of that I have a device where everything is soldered in so it's harder to mess with it (it still gets Smartwater treatment, but that's more for insurance purposes).

For us, this development is good news. Just don't try the fanboi argument if you can't make your case with facts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon