Reply to post: Re: Strip or screen...

New MacBook Pro beckons fanbois to become strip pokers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Strip or screen...

Well they'd prefer the screen, but the OS doesn't do that.

OK, my experience may have been marred by it being implemented on Windows, but I *hated* touchscreen laptops so I'm quite glad it isn't on the MacBook. For a start, if I want a touchscreen they have some large iPad for that which doesn't come with all the weight you need to lug around to make it usable as a PC (batteries and fans for powerful chips are still heavy).

Secondly, if 90% of what I do is typing I want to do that on a keyboard, not on glass, and even more, I want software developers to leave keyboard shortcuts in place so I don't have to grab for the mouse all the time (in that respect Windows has one over on macOS because there are more commands to initiate UI manipulations).

Lastly, if I DO do something on a screen I want it to be easy to use, and I'm used to writing on paper. In other words, on a surface that is lying down or slightly angled, not in front of me in a 45-90º angle and that is right in front of me instead of a keyboard away. In that respect I'm not even a huge fan of Wacom's Cintiq because it's too thick, and here too Microsoft offers more interesting ideas if it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to run Windows again, and Hell has apparently not frozen over yet.

Your needs may differ, of course, but for me it would be a pointless gimmick that would only drive up the price.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon