Reply to post: Re: So...

Donald Trump running insecure email servers

Gerhard Mack

Re: So...

"~ The official State Department mail system was / notoriously / a POS."

As a mail server admin I can guess exactly what they are talking about by the amount of whining about features such as the 1 hour lockout of IPs that get too many bad password attempts By far the largest complaint I get is that my server passwords are "too complicated" meaning I generate them randomly. I have seen people create secure default passwords such as 123456, asdf the company name or even an obfuscated (l33t) version of the username. (Seriously, 3 different workplaces have assigned me the exact same secure password "G3rh4rd") And I don't even deal with a secure environment that requires VPN for email access..

So all of these politicians do what managers do when faced with an annoyance: they go off and bypass the restrictions by doing their own thing. They go off and hire someone to setup a new user friendly mail server for them only to learn that it's harder than it looks Security? "it has a firewall"

, document retention? oops. George Bush, Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton: All form of the same techno illiterate stupidity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon