Reply to post: Re: Errrm

Basic income after automation? That’s not how capitalism works

Esme

Re: Errrm

@I ain't Spartacus - wish I had more than one upvote for you, well said! As a longstanding lefty (under the current political system (which I feel is itself in severe need of improvement)) one of the things that was startling to me (many years ago) was the realisation of what, precisely, had been shown to have removed most folk from poverty in the past.

I'm sufficiently pragmatic to not be into throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I can't help but think that the capitalist system we have is rathern like an old tin bath that whilst, yes, it does get the job done, it doesn't do the job particularly well or efficiently (so far as societies needs are concerned, rather than the rather esoteric economic measure that mainstream economists like to play with), and wouldn't we be better seeing if we could design something more like a shower, perhaps? (NB: I absolutely am NOT talking communism vs capitalism. IMO what's been called communism was merely a foredoomed attemtp to tinker with capitalism by throwing a wrench into the works of capitalism rather than trying to invent a truly different economic system).

I mean, it seems to me that considering capitalism is a system which rewards psychopathic and sociopathic behaviour due to being founded on the flawed assumption that everyone is greedy (everyone is needy would be closer to the truth - we all need basic amenities) and has the faults it does, has anyone even TRIED to design something that rewards sociophilic behaviour (and thus disadvantaginging the kind of buggers that have caused the big economic meltdowns that have happened every now and then) ? And if not, why not?

Granted, no economic schele will be 100% fair, but surely a better one than what we have is possible?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019