Reply to post: Lots of holes in the author's argument

Basic income after automation? That’s not how capitalism works

Marketing Hack Silver badge
FAIL

Lots of holes in the author's argument

A) Automation does put people out of work. We''re putting in a new sales back-end at work, and once that is operating I can think of at least 2-3 order management headcounts that are going away. I drive across bridges where the toll takers have disappeared in the last 5-6 years, because of license plate scanners and electronic payment systems.

B) You can't just keep producing "more shoes" ad infinitum. Eventually you will saturate the market.

C) The issue is not just getting a new job, it's getting a job that allows you to support a family. Way back in the mid80s SF bay area, I got a job as a trainee grocery store cashier. I started at about $8.50 an hour. I know someone who recently did the same thing, for the same grocery chain, and also in the bay area. They started at about $8.50 an hour, only now it's 30 years later and inflation has halved the value of that wage. Butchers, construction, many manufacturing jobs-- these used to be solid middle class jobs in the U.S., but they aren't anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019